Have you ever been hankering for that unique new surfing experience? Are you needing to catch every wave on every beach in the US? Well, no doubt if you are a committed surf enthusiast, you can be sure that you’ll already have looked at the amazing Ocean City beach in New Jersey.
Ocean City was established in 1884 and has been a common hotspot for tourists and New Jersey natives for the last 100 years. One of the most distinguishing features is the fact that alcohol is prohibited in this area, although there are plenty of people who have found a few legal loopholes to this rule.
However, that does stop this beach from being an amazing tourist destination, with it being awarded one of the best beaches in America award in 2009. But what if you want to surf on the amazing waves that this beach experiences?
Well, if you want to get a surfboard fresh for this beach or you need accessories for your existing surfboard, then you should definitely read on. We’ve done our research and found the best surf shops in the vicinity, so you won’t be without board wax or trunks when you hit the waves.
So where can you find the best surf shops in the Ocean City region? Which ones offer you the best prices for surfboard accessories? Who has the friendliest staff? How much do they know about surfing and which ones are willing to impart their surfboarding wisdom to you? Also, which ones are the closest to the beach?
Well, if you want the answers to these surfing questions and a lot more, then we would recommend that you keep reading. We’ve compiled a list of some of the best surf shops that you can find in Ocean city, NJ. We’ll be looking at which ones offer you the best service, as well as the friendliest customer support and prices.
Our first surf shop is very well-regarded online, with a wealth of 5-star reviews that have complimented this store on their friendliness, how efficient the staff are and how reasonable the prices are.
Some people have walked into this shop and walked out with a surfboard on that very same day. This is a place that really cares about surfing and getting people started on the waves – introducing Surfers Supplies.
- This place has been praised for not tagging along behind you as you browse. The vibe is very chilled out and relaxed.
- The quality of the gear in this store is excellent, with plenty of surfing pros calling in to top up their board wax.
- This is a local business who knows the area well – whether you are looking for surfing gear or just directions to the nearest restaurant, these guys will always be happy to help you out.
- The staff here will give you advice on which surfboard is right for you. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate or pro surfer, you’ll be able to find something.
- This might be a little too overwhelming for a surfing newbie, however, there’s always a staff member on hand to help you answer any questions.
Next up, we have another surf shop that has gathered hundreds of positive reviews online, with people commenting on the friendliness, dedication and openness of the staff that work there.
Not only can you get surfing gear here, but you can have your own private lessons and this is simply the best place to get surfing lessons for the whole family – introducing 7th Street Surf Shop.
- This place is one of the best stores to go to with your family, they will give you lessons and the right board so that mom, dad and even little sister can hit the waves by lunchtime!
- The instructors are very friendly and can work with surfers at any level. Even if you have never stood on a surfboard before, you can be sure that they will be patient, friendly and helpful.
- If you find yourself in Ocean City with a hankering to surf but you’ve never done it before, we certainly recommend that you stop at 7th Street Surf Shop first.
- The prices of the accessories are very reasonable, you won’t have to worry about spending all your wages on surfing gear at this store.
- This might be a little too much for anyone who is just getting into surfing and might want to hit the waves by themselves.
This next store is one that has been established by a local Jersey surf legend Dean Randazzo and is certainly the place to go if you are a more experienced surfer and you want some professional advice and merchandise.
This place has amazing high-quality merchandise and has already gathered a healthy reputation for great customer service – introducing Jersey Devil Surf Shop.
- You can get plenty of boards, t-shirts, waxes and other surfing accessories from all the top brands at this store.
- This store is great for anyone looking for accessories rather than a full board. You don’t even have to be a surfer to shop here, you can just pick up an amazing t-shirt.
- You can also get lessons and tutorials here, which is definitely what you’ll want if you are stepping out on the boards for the first time.
- This place is great for anyone who is a hardcore fan of surfing. You can spend all day chatting with staff about the history of surfing as well as your favorite pro players.
- The prices of the merchandise might be a little high for some newbie surfers.
This next shop is another one that is renowned for its amazing customer service and the knowledge that it’s staff possess. You can be sure of having everything you need to first strike out on the waves at this store – introducing Method Skateboard Shop.
- This is the place to come if you have any questions about getting into surfing – the team are very knowledgeable and helpful.
- You can also get skate boards as well as surfing equipment here. This is perfect for anyone into extreme sports of any kind.
- This has a pretty gnarly website, giving you everything that you need to get started in the world of skating or surfing.
- This might have too much of an emphasis on skating than surfing for some surfers.
5. Primal Surf
This next ocean City surf shop is one of the best when it comes to quality products. Whether it is t-shirts, body boards, surf boards or sunglasses, this is the place to go. You can also book yourself in with some lessons for the friendly and accommodating instructors – introducing Primal Surf.
- You can get not only great products to wear, but you can also find skin and hair products which are perfect for helping you look good on the beach.
- You can either buy or rent a surfboard, which is great if you are just passing through the city and want to pick up a board for just the day.
- This is also a great place to hang and meet up with fellow surfers. If you want to get to know the Ocean city surfing scene, then this is the first place to start!
- The prices – some of the boards are a little on the expensive side, which might put off people new to the sport.
This next surf shop is just up the road from Ocean City, but it is still perfectly accessible, having the highest level of surfing gear that you can imagine. You can rent or buy surfboards here, making it great for pro and amateur surfers – introducing South End Surf N’ Paddle.
- You can get gift certificates there, which is great if you have a friend that is mad about surfing and has a birthday coming up.
- The staff at this store have been praised for their friendliness and all-round knowledge about surfing.
- The price – this is another expensive surfing shop, although you can actually haggle to get the prices lower.
Looking at the website, this surfing shop is very slick and exciting, with an easy-to-navigate store that has plenty to offer. Not only is this place one of the best when it comes to surfing equipment, but the staff know a thing-or-two about surfing also – introducing Heritage Surf and Sport.
- This place has some of the most high quality surfing gear that you can find on the market.
- Established for the last 40 years, this place has plenty of expert help and guidance for newbie surfers who have never stepped out on the waves before.
- This is another expensive store, so you should be sure that you have a few dollars in your back pocket before going in.
8. Surf Mall
This next surfing outlet is a little more low key, but they have done their best to make sure to establish themselves as one of the communities best surfing retailers, providing you with amazing t-shirts, surfing accessories and apparel – introducing Surf Mall.
- This is set in the heart of Ocean city and has already gained a reputation amongst the locals as being a premiere place for surfing merchandise.
- You can see lots of big surfing brands here as well as some local names that you might not be able to find anywhere else.
- This might be hard to find for anyone who isn’t from the Ocean City area.
This next store is another low key one, although you can use their Facebook page to shop for some of the most unique and bespoke surfing items that you can currently find on the market – introducing Ocean Treasures.
- This shop sells souvenirs as well as surfing apparel. You can find something for all the family in this store.
- This family-owned store has garnered plenty of positive reviews from the local community for its friendly staff and wonderful customer service.
- Pro surfers will have a hard time finding some of the more niche items that they might be used to seeing in a normal surfing store.
Our final store is a bit more general than your average surfing store, although you will be able to find a few items to compliment your existing surf board and accessories – introducing B&B Department Store.
- The price – you can get some very cheap surfing accessories at this store, which is great if you are on a budget.
- This has a very easy to navigate website, so you can buy some surfing accessories before you even head out on your holiday.
- The staff at this store are always happy to help, all you have to do is ask them and they’ll point you to the right surfing accessory for you.
- Because this is a more general store, you might be struggling to find some of the more bespoke surfing items.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of some of the best surfing stores in the Ocean City area has helped you when it comes to your next surfing experience. These are the places that have the most helpful staff and the largest choice when it comes to clothing and accessories.