If you have ever been tempted to do a surfing tour of the USA, then no doubt you’ll have glanced over the state of Maryland, which is known for its prime beach locations and wonderful surf action.
During the summer, places like Ocean City become some of the most popular attractions in the state. This area is great for surfing, so you won’t have to worry about not finding a surf shop that will suit your needs. However, what if you’re looking for quality merchandise at a low price?
As well as surfing, Maryland is home to some amazing skate parks. In Ocean City, you can find the Ocean Bowl skate park which is actually one of the oldest running skating parks in the United States. If you want to be seen hanging out with pro skaters and surfers, then we would definitely recommend Maryland in the summer.
So where can you find the best surf shops in Maryland? How helpful are the staff and will they give you a hand if you want to hit the waves? How much will you have to pay in these stores for the top merch? Will their products be that high-end? How long will they last? What else do these stores offer aside from surfing clothing and boards?
Well, if you want the answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading. We have an in-depth rundown of some of the best surf shops in Maryland, breaking them down in terms of customer service, quality of products and whether they are highly rated.
Our first store is one that specializes not only in surfboards but in boogie boards, bodyboards, skimboards and skateboards. They also have a rich selection of surfing clothing and other apparel such as sunglasses, shirts, trousers and shorts – introducing Chauncey’s Surf-O-Rama.
- This shop sells all the leading brands, so you won’t have to worry about looking the part when you next turn up at the beach or surf competition.
- The quality of their boards is amazing, having plenty of varying sizes that are perfect for teenagers, newbie adults and larger pro surfers.
- The quality – this is a store that is passionate about providing only the very best clothing. You’ll be wearing some of these garments for years to come.
- The staff – this store is manned by a team who you can tell has a real love for surfing. You can be sure of having all the info you need for hitting the local beaches after just one visit.
- The price – these are amongst some of the most expensive surfing products on this list. You might find yourself dipping deeper into your pocket than you would like at Chauncey’s
Our next store is one that takes the authentic atmosphere of the beach and actually brings it in to their shop, replicating that good, old-fashioned beach shack looks complete with sand on the floor.
Their staff has all the expertise and you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a quality surf – introducing Endless Summer Surf shop.
- This sells all the top merchandise, including Billabong, Quiksilver, Ripcurl and Salt Life. This is definitely one for the newbie surfer looking to establish their cred.
- The staff really know their stuff at this store, they will listen patiently to your queries and direct you to the product that you’ll need straight away.
- These guys offer surf lessons as well as surf merchandise. The instructors have been described as some of the best in the Maryland area.
- The price – they sell this fairly cheaply, which is ideal for a student surfer on a budget.
- Some pros have complained that the staff sometimes do not have that much information about more niche surfing equipment.
Thai next surfing store has been established for many years, and they certainly know a thing or two about the surfing scene. They employ swimming competition winners, so they can guarantee they know their stuff – introducing Malibu’s Surf Shop.
- This surfing company has private rentals and surfing lessons, so if you are passing through and you want a lesson, this is the place to stop.
- The instructors that work at this store are amazing, they have first-hand knowledge of what it is like to surf and which product will be more suitable for your level of surfing.
- The prices at this surfing outlet are a little more expensive and they don’t have a great selection of surfing apparel.
This next surfing store really does tailor their output for top-quality surf clothing, stocking only the finest brands. Their mission to propagate surf culture, which they have managed to do for years now – introducing K-Coast Surf Shop.
- Considered to be one of Maryland’s finest surfing emporiums, this has gained lots of praise for the quality of the clothing and the insight of the staff.
- You can tap into resources that this store has to offer, not only gaining tips and tricks for boarding but also industry info about what the latest up-and-coming products are.
- This has been considered to be a bit pricier than some of the other surfing brands on the market.
This next surfing shop is one that has become so popular that it has expanded into a well-known chain, with stores in Florida, Alabama and South Carolina.
This brand is known for its excellence when it comes to surfing equipment and knowing exactly what you’ll want, no matter how experienced at surfing you are – introducing Ron Jon Surf Shop.
- This is an amazing surf chain, bringing you all the best brands for very reasonable prices. Customers have walked in not knowing what to buy and have walked out with their very own board.
- The Ron Jon brand is very popular with surfers, they have an amazing range of merchandise that you can pick from.
- Some customers have complained that the store in Maryland is a little difficult to find, with GoogleMaps often leading them to the wrong location.
This next store is a place that began its life as a casual hang-out spot for surfers that has since bloomed into a thriving surf store. They do everything from clothing to surfboards and are very child-friendly – introducing Sunshine House Surf Shop.
- This surf shop specializes in their very own branded merchandise that includes a vert subversive ‘Indian On The Horse’ brand and a ‘Surf Naked’ T-shirt.
- This store is visited by surfers all over the world, so don’t be surprised that when you go in there that it will be rammed with customers.
- This shop might be very busy when you get there. Also, the prices are very steep, so make sure you have deep pockets when you visit this one.
This is another store that started off as one shop but has since expanded over 11 cities in the US. You can be sure that they’ll have all the top ranges of surf clothes, as well as surfboards for beginners, intermediate and expert surfers – introducing Quiet Storm Surf Shop.
- They have accessories and accouterments for the whole family, so if you like to surf with your children, we would recommend seeking out this store.
- This shop has got something for everyone – the clothing is also very reasonably priced, so if you are a starting surfer on a budget, this will be the store for you.
- This store can get quite busy at times. Also, some customers have complained that there is not a member of staff on hand to help them when it gets busy.
Looking at the website for this surf shop, we can see a very professional company that is dedicated to making surf clothing that is applicable for all ages and skill levels.
They have a friendly staff on hand at all times to help you make a purchase, even if you know virtually nothing about surfing – introducing East Of Maui Surf Shop.
- This place is a very esteemed surfing shop, with plenty of staff members that know a lot about the history of surfing and what surfing item will best suit your surfing level.
- This surf shop also offers lessons, rentals and repairs, really covering the whole gamut when it comes to surfing.
- The price – this is another steep pricing bracket, although if you want the very best in quality and service, then you might have to be prepared to pay more money.
Next up we have a surf company that not only does boards and accessories, but has expanded their remit into the world of beach philosophy, specializing in jewelry, lifestyle and beauty products specially tailored for the beach – introducing Fells Point Surf Co.
- This company really does have an expansive selection of goodies, whether you want shampoo or skincare cream, you can be sure that Fells has everything you need.
- They do plenty of clothes for men and women, in fact, their female range is probably one of the best that we’ve seen in the Maryland area.
- This might be a little too much unnecessary fluff for the hardcore surfer who wants accessories for their board.
This final surfing store is a little bit more boutique than some of the other ones on this list. However, what it might lack in high-street brands it makes up for in quality customer service and reasonable prices.
You can be sure that no matter what level of surfing that you’re at, you’ll be able to get something from this store – introducing Stale Fish Board Co.
- This comes with their very own surf label, which comes on a plethora of different clothing. If you want to sport the Stale Fish brand at the next surf competition, we suggest that you buy from the source.
- You can also get a range of gift cards, which will be a great attribute if you are struggling to find the perfect gift for that surf-obsessed friend.
- This store will be lacking in some of the big brand names that you might be looking for in your local surf shop.
What To Look For In A Surf Shop
There are certain things that you should be looking for when it comes to a decent surf shop. Here are just a few of them:
How Reliable Are The Staff?
You’ll want staff that is highly knowledgeable of the surfing genre, able to hone in on what it is you’re looking for, especially if you are new to the surf scene.
How Cheap Are The Prices?
Surfing gear can get very expensive, so if you’re on a budget, then you’ll want to be seeking out the most reasonable prices.
Are The Clothes Of High Quality?
You’ll want the best when it comes to your T-shirts and your clothing, especially if you are paying top dollar for them. Always make sure that the clothes are made from high-quality materials and that they will last you for a long time.
You’ll also need to be sure that a lot of your board accessories are adequately waterproof.