Wetsuits are great for swimming or surfing, but they can also be tricky to get on. If you’ve ever struggled with putting on a wetsuit, you’ll appreciate these helpful tips.
They are designed to keep water out of your skin and provide insulation from cold temperatures. They come in various styles and sizes, depending on the type of sport you want to play.
Wetsuits are usually made of neoprene (a rubber compound) and stretchy fabric. The material helps keep water away from your body and provides insulation against cold weather. Once you have the suit on, you’ll need to adjust the fit to ensure it fits properly.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at what a wetsuit is, and how to put it on.
Different Types Of Wetsuit
Wetsuits are available in different types, including:
These suits cover your entire body except your head and hands. They’re best for all-around activities like snorkeling, diving, kayaking, and fishing.
These suits only cover your upper half, leaving your lower half exposed. They’re good for surfers, swimmers and other activities where you don’t want to completely submerge yourself.
This is an option for people who prefer not to wear full-length wetsuits because they may feel too constricting. It’s perfect for those who enjoy water sports such as surfing and stand up paddling.
This is another option that gives you more freedom to move around while still being protected from the elements.
The shorties are ideal for children, teens, and adults who want to participate in water sport activities but would like a short style wetsuit.
How To Put On A Wetsuit
Follow these helpful tips on how to put on a wetsuit:
- Lay flat on a towel or mat so that your arms and legs are straight.
- Pull up your shirt sleeves and roll down your pants.
- Place both feet into the foot pockets.
- Unzip the front of the suit and slide it over your torso.
- Zip the suit up by pulling the zipper through the loops at the top of the suit.
- Adjust the straps if needed.
- Tie off the leg openings using the tie-off tabs located near the bottom of each leg pocket.
- Stand up and test the suit. Make sure the suit covers your whole body, including your head and hands.
How To Make Sure A Wetsuit Fits Properly
You should always make sure that your wetsuit fits properly before going out into the water. This will help prevent any injuries or discomfort once you’re in the water.
To check whether your wetsuit fits correctly, follow these steps:
- Lie face down on the floor.
- Bend one knee and place your hand on the back of your thigh just below your hip bone.
- Slowly pull your leg toward your chest until you reach your waist.
- If the suit doesn’t go past your knees, then it won’t be long enough.
If your wetsuit isn’t long enough, you can add extra layers underneath the suit. However, this could cause chafing and irritation.
If your wetsuit is too loose, you can tighten the straps. You might also consider wearing a thicker pair of socks under the suit.
How To Remove A Wetsuit
After getting out of the water, remove your wetsuit by following these instructions:
- Fold the suit over your arm so that the neck opening faces upward.
- Slide your fingers between the fabric and your skin.
- Gently tug the suit away from your body until it comes free.
Swimming In The Sea Safety Tips
Always remember to use common sense when participating in water sports. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Never dive alone. Always have someone with you who knows what they’re doing.
- Don’t swim alone. Even though there are many different types of sharks, most attacks occur when divers are swimming alone.
- Avoid swimming in areas known to harbor dangerous marine life.
- Keep yourself safe by staying alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Wear proper footwear.
- Be careful where you step.
- Stay clear of coral reefs and rocky bottoms. These environments are home to many dangerous sea creatures.
- Know the rules of diving etiquette.
How To Choose A Wetsuit
The right wetsuit can make all the difference in terms of comfort and performance while enjoying the great outdoors.
Whether you’re planning an outdoor adventure such as surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving, fishing or simply relaxing on the beach, choosing the best wetsuit for your needs is essential.
It’s important to know how to get the most out of your wetsuit. Choosing a wetsuit can be confusing because there are so many options available.
In fact, there are more than 1 million different styles of wetsuits available today.
Before purchasing a wetsuit, take time to decide which type of suit will work best for you. Consider the following factors when selecting a wetsuit:
How well does the wetsuit protect you against the elements? Does it provide adequate protection if you fall off a boat or slip into the ocean? Does it keep you warm?
Is the wetsuit comfortable? Are the materials durable? Will the wetsuit fit comfortably?
How easy is it to clean the wetsuit? What kind of material is used to construct the wetsuit? Can the wetsuit withstand rough conditions?
How much money do you want to spend? Remember that a cheap wetsuit may not last very long.
Some people prefer a sleek design while others like something sportier. Choose something that suits your style.
Make sure that the wetsuit fits properly before going into the water. If the wetsuit doesn’t fit correctly, it could restrict movement and cause discomfort.
When buying a wetsuit, make sure that you buy one that has been thoroughly tested and approved by reputable manufacturers. This way, you’ll be assured that the wetsuit will perform at its highest level.
Also, you will find that a quality wetsuit is much more easier to put on and take off, and will not tear at the seams due to it being highly durable,